Day tour to Petralona Cave
The Petralona Cave also known as ‘Cave of the Red’ is located at 300m above sea-level 1 km east of the village Petralona on the Chalkidiki peninsula, Greece. The cave had been discovered accidentally in 1959 after erosion had left clefts in the rock. The Cave is worldwide known as it is considered to have been found there the oldest European hominid ever ‘The Petralona Skull’ and assessed it to be 800.000 years old, although there is still much confusion. As the researches continued evidence of the oldest use of fire known to this day was also discovered. After decades of excavations the cave was opened to the public in 1979 and scientific work is documented and presented in the Archaeological Museum next to the cave.
What to expect :
Our day to trip to Petralona Cave starts in the morning. During our visit we will be guided through the Cave and the Archaeological Museum. We will have the chance to admire the impressive stalactite and stalagmite formations and the abundance of fossils. Our guide will explain you the history and all the details concerning the importance of Petralona Cave and its discoveries for Human History. We are allowed to visit 800m of the Cave and the temperature is always 17degrees! After our tour inside it we will continue our tour in the Archeological Museum, where we will be able to find more information and see ourselves all the discoveries so far. Our guide always at your disposal for any additional information!
- visit The Petralona Cave and learn about its importance for Human History
- discover the ‘Petralona Scull’, considered to be the oldest European hominid
- enjoy the beauty of stalagmites and stalactites
- visit the Archeological Museum next to it and learn about the discoveries
- great photo opportunities
- roundtrip tickets
- transfer to/from departure point
- tour information in Russian
- all taxes
- food and drinks
- personal expenses
Additional info :
- confirmation will be received within 8 hours of booking, subject to availability
- children must be accompanied by an adult
- children rates apply to ages no more than 12 years old
Voucher info :
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. On the confirmation voucher there will be complete operator information, including local telephone numbers, maps with the exact departure and arrival time, exact time and duration.
There are no reviews for this product.